I reflect on our 2011 challenge (see it here). To get rid of HALF the things that we own.
Mostly because of something we didn’t realize at the time- we are leaving for Black Forest Academy in June and now must get rid of… well, anything that won’t fit in our luggage.
The irony is that we determined this “challenge” for 2011 to simplify- having no solid idea of our upcoming trek across the world. Isn’t God funny?
I haven’t decided what 2012’s “challenge” will be (though there are already plenty in my future… learning German, acclimating to a new culture, helping my children transition to their new lives, becoming fully funded by June, and so much more!)
Perhaps I don’t need to add to my already growing list of challenges for 2012!
I did run across the blog post of Mari Smith and her idea for a One Word Theme for 2012. This got me thinking.
My word leapt into my mind.
I want light to inspire my every moment through this year.
- The “Light” of Christ to shine through me as I learn to love the German people with their love-languages, the children of missionaries within their unique wirings, and the staff and families I’ll be serving alongside.
- The “Light” that keeps my life free from any guilt or deception as I choose to live transparently, hiding nothing, and remaining a person of integrity.
- The revealing “Light” that lights the path of decisions, making known things hidden in the darkness and encouraging decisions filled with insight.
- The “Light” that frees me to fully bloom into the woman and person that I am created to be.
- The “Light” that liberates others to the same kind of freedoms (to be who they are meant to be) that I know (or will know 🙂 ).
“Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves,who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented, and fabulous? Actually,who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us. It is not just in some; it is in everyone. And, as we let our own light shine,we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” -Marianne Williamson
I encourage you to pick a word theme for yourself in this next year. You can read Mari’s blog post for inspiration or examples (words she’s chosen in previous years).
What is your word theme for 2012? How did you do with any challenges you set for 2011?